Photo by Harry How/Getty Images
This part of the off-season tends to get a bit slow with Red Wings’ news trickling out, but we’ve got the latest in Detroit coverage here at Hockeytown Blog.
- Wings’ fans have submitted some great photos, showcasing their travels around the world in Detroit gear on DRW.com.
- The Detroit News takes a look at the Wings’ goaltending depth — who sits in line behind starter Chris Osgood?
- Mike Mouat of the Detroit Examiner has a scouting report up on Pavel Datsyuk.
- Speaking of Datsyuk, Hockeytown Blog would like to wish our star forward and team owner Mike Ilitch a very happy birthday!
- Former Detroiter Keith Primeau has joined the Las Vegas Wranglers (ECHL) as the director of player development.
- Retired Wing Dallas Drake is holding a hockey camp today through Wednesday in Traverse City.
- Ilitch Charities will host the annual Celebrity Golf Classic on August 31 at the Oakland Hills Country Club. For more information on the event, you can visit IlitchCharities.org.
- James Mirtle at From the Rink has a list of 38 unrestricted free agents who are still available. The Wings are in a holding pattern until the Jiri Hudler situation is all figured out, but who would you like the see Detroit snag that makes sense under the salary cap?
- Former Detroit coach Scotty Bowman’s son, Stan, was promoted to GM of the Chicago Blackhawks last week to become just the seventh father-son GM tandem.
- As we all experienced on New Year’s, the Winter Classic is a pretty amazing event. The players from the Boston Bruins and Philadelphia Flyers, who will play in the 2010 Winter Classic at Fenway Park, are in awe of the opportunity according to this NHL.com article.
- Puck Daddy has a breakdown of EA Sports’ NHL 10 game features before it’s released in September. If you don’t want to see Patrick Kane on the cover of your copy of the game, Winging It In Motown has given you some other options including Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk, and Nicklas Lidstrom.