Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
As the slow part of the NHL off-season continues, Hockeytown Blog has the latest in Red Wings’ news including a look at Jiri Fischer and Jimmy Howard.
- Detroit prospect Jesper Samuelsson has one more year before the Wings have to decide whether to sign him or let him go. Samuelsson made one noticeable change at development camp this year according to the Detroit Free Press, wearing a Tigers hat instead of the Yankees cap he brought last year.
- Justin Abdelkader joined Angela Jerman in the LPGA Meijer Charity Classic pro-am last Monday (Dan Cleary and Kirk Maltby will play in the Buick Open pro-am next week). The Muskegon Chronicle writes that aside from enjoying his newfound fame, Abdelkader is spending the summer taking a couple of Economics classes as he continues to work towards his Business degree and of course gearing up for training camp in September.
- The Detroit Free Press tells its readers that Jimmy Howard, who will be Detroit’s backup netminder this season, is getting married on August 1. Playing on that, the headline asks if Jimmy is “Mr. Right?” for the Wings.
- Detroit’s director of player development is the focus of a great article in The Detroit News. Jiri Fischer is the primary point of contact for Red Wings’ prospects and the article breaks down what Fischer does exactly.
- From the Rink asked its readers to predict the 2009-10 season standings. The readers picked Detroit to finish atop the Western Conference. Chicago, San Jose, Calgary, and Vancouver round out the top five in the conference. There is still plenty of time this off-season for teams to change, but that’s what a specific sample of hockey fans had to say about the upcoming year. Hockey Jabber disagrees and ranks the Wings fourth in the conference. What do you think?
- NHLPatches.com is a website that has a vast collection of images of NHL patches, including 27 Red Wings’ patches dating back to 1941. Most Detroit fans will recognize the “Believe” patch or the Yzerman ceremony night patch, but what about the City of Detroit 250th Anniversary patch that the Wings wore during the 1950-51 season or the war bonds patch from 1944-45?
- Speaking of jerseys, the New York Daily News ranked the Red Wings’ jersey No. 1 in all sports.
- The Red Wings haven’t sent out renewal letters yet for season tickets, but the Detroit Free Press reports that their 2008-09 playoff promotion resulted in a 60% renewal rate so far.
- Reports out of Chicago say that former Wing Marian Hossa suffered a shoulder/rotator cuff injury allegedly during the playoffs. If it’s serious enough to require surgery, Hossa would be out until December.
- On this day in Red Wings’ history, former Red Wings right wing Leo Labine was born on this date in Haileybury, Ontario.
- Tyler at Triple Deke has been a little bored so he took to coming up with some all-time Red Wings’ line combinations, including the all “not drafted by the Red Wings in his lifetime” Detroit team and the “All Quebec” Red Wings’ squad.
- Winging It In Motown compares the special teams data from Detroit’s 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons.
- Former Red Wing Sergei Fedorov signed with Metallurg Magnitogorsk, a KHL team where he will join his brother Fedor, and appeared at a press conference on Monday. He told reporters that he was excited about his opportunity here and that he believed his NHL career was over.
- Last week the NHLPA issued a memo to its members and the many national hockey federations, stating its concerns about the lack of complete insurance coverage of the players participating in the Olympic camps this summer. Wings coach Mike Babcock says that he’s not too concerned since every country is in the same boat and that “this will find a way to work itself out.”
- Adam Proteau at The Hockey News has an entertaining look at common media cliches spoken by NHL players and management.
Think we missed something? Please share the link with us in the comment section.