Photo by Matthias Kern/Bongarts/Getty Images
The Red Wings signed defenseman Andy Delmore to a one-year, two-way contract worth $500,000 when he plays in the NHL (per the Detroit Free Press) on Tuesday. He is expected to play in Grand Rapids, but will be a depth signing for the Wings. Delmore spent the last two seasons in Germany where he played for the Hamburg Freezers (German Elite League – DEL), recording 66 points (19 goals, 47 assists) in 103 games.
He had signed with the Wings right after the lockout in August 2005, but Columbus picked him off of waivers. Delmore then went on to spend most of the season playing for Columbus’ AHL affiliate, the Syracuse Crunch. His 17 goals and 55 assists resulted in Delmore winning the Eddie Shore Award, which is given to the AHL’s best defenseman. The Detroit Free Press says that he fills out the Griffins’ veteran core.
Of an AHL team’s 18 skaters, 13 must qualify as developmental players; of that group, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer pro games, and one (Oulahen) must have played in fewer than 320.
“I like the way the team looks,” [Griffins general manager Bob] McNamara said of the Grffins. “I think we’re a little young again. We’re very skilled, and I think we’re going to be able to compete. Andy Delmore is kind of the last piece of the puzzle for us. We’ve got a few other spots to fill, depth-forward positions and role-player positions.”
Delmore has played in a total of 283 NHL games, posting 101 points and 105 penalty minutes on teams including Philadelphia, Columbus, Nashville, and Buffalo.
Kyle at Babcock’s Death Stare likes this signing because it offers some great depth for the Wings, especially if Andreas Lilja is unable to play in the fall. His bio from the Hamburg Freezers says (via my rough translation) that he enjoys playing golf in his spare time, he has already won a title on the OHL and AHL level, and wore No. 55 because No. 5 was already taken.
In Other News
- Chris Hollis of Winging It In Motown talked to Mike Grier’s agent and learned that Grier has “expressed interest” in the Red Wings. The Detroit Free Press speculates that a former Red Wing (Jason Williams or Todd Bertuzzi) could return to Detroit. Nightmare on Helm Street offered up five possibilities other than Grier. Do you think Detroit will make a run at Grier or some other unrestricted free agent? Let us know in the comment section.
- The Triple Deke continues to make interesting hypothetical lineups due to boredom. Their most recent lineup? An “if we were to draft a football team with current Red Wings” team lineup.
- GM Ken Holland, Kirk Maltby, and Dan Cleary will participate in the Wednesday’s Pure Michigan Pro-Am this morning before the final year of the Buick Open kicks off on Thursday.
- The Wings and Warrior Hockey teamed up to give a scholarship and some hockey gear so 11-year-old Jagr Bugaski could attend the Wings’ Youth Hockey Camp.
- Speaking of scholarships, Ilitch Charities awarded $20,000 in scholarships to eight worthy Little Caesars hockey players.
- According to the Detroit Free Press, Dan Cleary chose to spend the off-season here in Detroit because his wife was expecting to have a baby this summer. She gave birth last Friday, welcoming a daughter named Lola. Cleary typically splits the off-season between Newfoundland and California.
- John Grigg at The Hockey News picks the St. Louis Blues to win the Central Division over Detroit and Chicago.
- Bored and need something to keep you busy during the slow off-season? Puck Daddy found a website that allows you to create customized jerseys, including jersey color and materials as well as numbering and lettering styles. If you come up with any unusual DRW-esque jerseys, please share in the comment section!