Photo by Dave Reginek/NHLI via Getty Images
As the temperature rises, hockey news seems to slowly trickle out during the last month of the off-season. Hockeytown Blog tracks down the latest news, both big and small, about your Red Wings so that you don’t have to.
- The Detroit Free Press concludes their wrap up of the Wings’ Central Division opponents with takes on Columbus and Nashville. The Production Line also took a look at the Wings’ division.
- Mike Mouat of the Detroit Examiner has a scouting report up on defenseman Niklas Kronwall.
- NHL.com talked to Ville Leino about the Wings while at the Finnish pre-Olympic camp.
- Justin Abdelkader started the “Shoot for a Cure” initiative while playing at Michigan State. Next Wednesday, fans can skate with the pros for $10 with proceeds going toward the cause.
- Casey at Winging It In Motown believes that if Johan Franzen stays healthy and continues his scoring trends, the Mule could have a shot at the Hart Trophy next season.
- Detroit’s AHL affiliate, the Grand Rapids Griffins, released its 2009-10 schedule. Are any Hockeytown Blog readers going to try to make it out to a Griffins’ game and catch some Detroit prospects?
- SportsPro Magazine ranked the top 200 sports properties in the world based on team or league value, including the Detroit Red Wings at No. 156 with a value set at $196 million. The NHL came in at No. 33 while only three NHL teams were valued higher than the Red Wings (Toronto, NY Rangers, Montreal).
- Ross McKeon at Yahoo! Sports already has power rankings up with training camps starting next month. He placed the Wings in the No. 6 slot. Pittsburgh and Chicago came in at No. 1 and 2 respectively. Thoughts?
- If you haven’t heard yet, the Wings will launch their newly designed website on Monday. So take a look at the current DRW.com layout and then come back on August 17 to see the new design.
- Scott Burnside of ESPN.com talks about what the summer pre-Olympic camps will reveal for 2010. The New York Times’ Slap Shot Blog has preliminary rosters for Team USA and Russia.
- Icethetics has an exclusive look of Team Canada’s jerseys for the Winter Games.
- From the Rink has rounded up all of the preseason games to be played at neutral sites.