Photo Courtesy of DetroitRedWings.com
The Detroit Red Wings hosted HockeyFest this past Friday and Saturday at Joe Louis Arena. The event consisted of player appearances (Nicklas Lidstrom, Dan Cleary, Kris Draper, Tomas Holmstrom, and Jason Williams), tours of the locker room, photo opps with the zamboni, interactive hockey games, and hockey memorabilia exhibits. Kris at Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle posted her notes from the Q&A sessions with Draper, Williams, Holmstrom, and Lidstrom. The Detroit News also touched upon some of the comments made during the question and answer portions of the event, including words from Steve Yzerman.
In our last installment of Around the Rink for the month of August, we have a number of news tidbits to share with you.
- Over the next 11 days, bloggers covering the Red Wings are hosting a blogger roundtable to talk about a wide variety of Wings’ topics. The series kicks off at Winging It In Motown today with talk about the Red Wings’ Olympians and the 2010 Winter Olympics.
- The Vernon Morning Star has a look at goaltender Chris Osgood’s offseason training regimen this summer.
- Forward Dan Cleary has an outside shot of making Team Canada according to a notebook article in The Detroit News. Bill at Abel to Yzerman believes that Cleary deserves a roster spot. Cleary talked to Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com about the opportunity and how he learned of the invite to Canada’s orientation camp.
- The Detroit News takes a look at how Jason Williams’ stints outside of Detroit prepared him for his return to the Wings.
- Todd Bertuzzi will join the London Knights alumni and other NHLers team to support their Shoot for a Cure initiative according to the London Free Press.
- Want to take a look at a season preview for Johan Franzen through Sega’s NHL ’97? If so, you’ll want to check out The Triple Deke.
- Motown Wings evaluates Derek Meech’s play last year and offers up a prediction for this season.
- Adrian Dater named his top ten all-time fighters in the NHL for Versus.com and former Wing Bob Probert finished atop the list.
- Former Detroit defenseman Mathieu Schneider inked a one-year deal with the Canucks for $1.55 million. He will join former Wing Mikael Samuelsson in Vancouver.