Photo by Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
While we will undoubtedly have more to discuss early next week when training camp kicks off, we just have a hodge podge of news articles and blog posts to share with you today so let’s get right to it.
In Other News
- Hockey Night in Canada’s Elliotte Friedman first tweeted that “Zetterberg was supposed to be at NHL Media event but tweaked groin and needed further examination,” scaring Wings’ fans following him on Twitter. He later eased concerns with a tweet stating, “Good news, negative result on the MRI. Diagnosis is a mild muscle strain…day-to-day.”
- NHL.com writer Mike G. Morreale interviewed the Wings’ Director of European Scouting Håkan Andersson, talking with him about how he goes about scouting and the process they go through during a draft.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press asked some of the Red Wings’ players about Twitter and got some laughs from the likes of Chris Osgood, Jimmy Howard, Kirk Maltby, Justin Abdelkader, and Kris Draper. The Detroit News also dove into the Twitter discussion.
- The Jiri Hudler situation appears to have finally come to a close as the IIHF approved his transfer card to the KHL per TSN.
- Craig Custance of The Sporting News listed five players he believes are ready to compete in the NHL and who played at the prospect tournament in Traverse City.
- The Detroit News tells readers that Darren Helm’s locker stall has been placed in between Kris Draper and Dan Cleary. Speaking of Helm, Mike Mouat of the Detroit Examiner has his scouting report up on the Wing and The Triple Deke talk about how Helm fits into this year’s roster.
- The Red Wings blogger roundtable continued with stops at Abel to Yzerman, Motown Wings, and Nightmare on Helm Street.
- Detroit prospect Tomas Tatar keeps impressing people at the prospect tournament with the latest article being one by an NHL.com writer.
- Wes Goldstein of CBSSports.com gives five things you should know about the Wings in his preview piece.
- Japers’ Rink asked his readers which of the following three squads did they think was best: 1997, 2002, or 2008.
- We mentioned on Wednesday that two groups of Wings will take east and west tours of the state, making stops en route to Traverse City for training camp. DRW.com now has their itinerary up on the website.
- Abel to Yzerman linked to an article by The Hockey Writers, who named their top 15 hitters in the NHL. Wings’ defenseman Niklas Kronwall came in at No. 2 on the list.
- Casey at Winging It In Motown picks his top 10 moments from the 2008-09 season as he gears up for the upcoming season. He listed choices No. 6-10 yesterday with the rest coming sometime today.
- Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle has been profiling the various Red Wings in preparation for the season. Kris takes a look at Todd Bertuzzi and Dan Cleary this week.
- A blog called The Strangest One of All decided to write NHL team season previews in a unique way, limiting his thoughts to 140 characters or less like Twitter. This is what he had to say about the Wings: “While the core still remains from last season, but question of which Osgood will show up will always be present.”
- The Bleacher Report has its fantasy forecast on Valtteri Filppula.
- According to Slap Shot, former Detroit goaltender Dominik Hasek made his televised debut in Czech making 33 saves on 34 shots.
- Chris Chelios is considering an offer from the Chicago Wolves (AHL) per the Detroit Free Press.
- The Chicago Daily Herald notes that the Blackhawks’ coach primary goal is to take the Central Division title away from the Red Wings.