Photo courtesy of Dave Reginek
Hockey season is finally here with the kickoff of training camp on Sunday morning in Traverse City, Mich. A new line made its debut in yesterday’s scrimmage, making it seem likely that Ville Leino, Valtteri Filppula, and Jason Williams will play on the third line come the regular season. The Grand Rapids Press has a few notes from a Griffins’ perspective from the first day of camp. Want to see the line combination for Team Delvecchio, Howe, and Lindsay for the three-day camp? Unconnected Red Wings Blog is where you want to go.
DRW beat reporters reminded fans of what the Wings hope to focus on at this year’s training camp: defense, find offense, and work on the penalty kill. MLive.com mentions that the Wings could see a 37% “changeover” in their roster at most according to coach Mike Babcock’s calculations — that means this could be the most interesting camp in years.
Want to view some images from camp? The Detroit Free Press snapped some photos as the players boarded the bus to head to Traverse City. In addition, you can see pictures from Sunday’s activities at camp at DRW.com.
In Other News
- Can’t get enough of training camp? The Wings’ official Twitter account is tweeting live from the activities, including videos of players answering your questions and photos of the action. DRW.com will also have a wrap-up for each of the remaining two days of camp.
- The players underwent physicals on Saturday, which resulted in some not-so-good news for defenseman Andreas Lilja. He has had a setback, meaning he will have to skate by himself at camp. MLive.com notes that GM Ken Holland will place Lilja on the long-term injured reserved list as a result.
- The Detroit Free Press, MLive.com, and The Detroit News take a look at where Derek Meech sits — the edge of the roster bubble.
- Bruce MacLeod of The Macomb Daily points out that defensive prospect Jakub Kindl will likely follow Jonathan Ericsson’s steps this season. He will likely be the first player to get called up in the case of an injured defenseman and may very well make the Detroit roster next fall.
- The Detroit News reminds us that Detroit management will be sure to keep a close eye on prospects Jan Mursak and Tomas Tatar.
- DRW.com’s Michael Caples wrote about a Belleville, Mich., corn maze that features the Red Wings logo and the outline of a hockey player — pretty cool to look at!
- Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle and The Triple Deke continued their player previews with takes on Patrick Eaves, Kris Draper, Pavel Datsyuk, and Henrik Zetterberg.
- Casey at Winging It In Motown finishes up his top ten moments of the 2008-09 season with No. 1-5. Which moment would make the top of your list?
- Puck Daddy and Illegal Curve have their respective season previews up for the Red Wings.