Photo by Dave Reginek/NHLI via Getty Images
The Red Wings played two preseason games over the weekend at Joe Louis Arena, including a 4-3 win over the New York Rangers on Friday and a 3-1 loss to the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday. You can attribute the loss to the outstanding play by the Sabres’ netminder Ryan Miller, who made 42 saves in the contest. Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard played well in the outing as the two goals he allowed (the third goal was an empty-netter) came off deflections.
This evening, the Wings will take on the Rangers in New York City and will then head to Philadelphia tomorrow to face off against the Flyers. The game against the Rangers will be broadcast on the NHL Network in Canada for all of our fans north of the border.
In Other News
- Wings’ draft pick Tomas Tatar was given the opportunity to play in Friday night’s game. While he did not grab a point offensively, he did end the weekend with something else — a three-year contract with Detroit. It is still to be determined whether he will play for the Griffins in Grand Rapids (AHL) or the Plymouth Whalers (OHL).
- Detroit also signed Willie Coetzee, who is the teammate of another Wings’ draft pick Landon Ferraro in the WHL, to a three-year entry level deal.
- Justin Abdelkader is taking advantage of the ice time during these exhibition games and making his case to play in the NHL, especially if Darren Helm remains out longer than anticipated with his shoulder injury. In Thursday’s victory over the Rangers, he recorded the game-winning marker and an assist.
- DRW senior vice president Jimmy Devellano was named one of three recipients this year for the Lester Patrick Award.
- Henrik Zetterberg was scratched from Saturday’s lineup due to a nagging groin injury. He may miss Monday’s game at Madison Square Garden, but could take the ice in Philadelphia on Tuesday.
- MLive.com reports that goaltender Dan Cloutier, who participated in the Wings’ training camp on a tryout invite, will play in one of the upcoming preseason games.
- Greg Eno at Out of Bounds believes Chris Osgood’s promise. What was it? You’ll have to visit his blog to find out.
- Snapshots has all the info about Chris Chelios’ comments regarding the firing of NHLPA executive director Paul Kelly.
- Kris at Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle has her preseason profile of Niklas Kronwall up.