Photo by Dave Reginek/NHLI via Getty Images
After playing three preseason games in as many nights, the team left for Sweden on Sunday evening. Detroit’s last exhibition contest will be on Wednesday against Farjestads (Swedish Elite League) before the Red Wings kick off versus St. Louis on Friday afternoon and Saturday in the NHL Premiere Challenge. DetroitRedWings.com and NHL.com will have the latest DRW coverage during the next week. You can also check out the Wings’ official Twitter and Facebook accounts for video, photos, and much more!
Weekend Game Recaps
Sunday, vs. Pittsburgh — The Wings snapped a five-game losing skid with a 4-1 victory over the Penguins. The game got a bit chippy with a total of 28 penalty minutes, primarily from the third period, plus two 10-minute misconducts. Brian Rafalski recorded four assists during the evening, while Pavel Datsyuk and Jason Williams each registered a goal and a helper. Johan Franzen and Ville Leino also scored in the outing. Jimmy Howard was awarded first star of the game after making 25 saves.
Friday, vs. Toronto — Detroit fell to the Maple Leafs on Friday in a 5-4 shootout loss after rallying from a 3-0 deficit. Niklas Kronwall and Johan Franzen each posted two markers, while netminder Chris Osgood stopped 25 shots in the effort.
In Other News
- There has been plenty to talk about with the Wings gearing up for their big trip to Sweden. The Detroit Free Press took a panoramic photo of the seven Swedes after practice this week. The newspaper continued its work in preparation of the festivities, discussing how the Swedes are like rock stars over in Sweden and will be treated as such this week. MLive.com noted that Stockholm may become Hockeytown East this week. The NHL.com writes that the Wings went on this trip partially as a reward to captain Nick Lidstrom.
- Justin Abdelkader earned a spot on the season-opening roster according to MLive.com as Darren Helm can’t play in Sweden. On Friday, the Wings trimmed their roster to 33 players and Kyle at Babcock’s Death Stare commented on those cut. Two days later, Detroit was at it again bringing the total on the roster to 23 before the team headed to Sweden. Brad May was released from the Wings so that he could get a tryout with the Griffins in the AHL.
- The Detroit Free Press talked with Jakub Kindl, who tries to stay positive in his third year in Grand Rapids.
- ESPN.com has an update on Dan Cloutier after he was cut by the Wings on Thursday.
- Sports Illustrated’s Allan Muir and Kevin Allen at USA Today posted their Central Division previews, picking the Wings to finish atop the division.
- Greg Eno at Out of Bounds says that the Wings’ run of excellence has been taken for granted.
- Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle once again has previewed players with profiles on Chris Osgood, Derek Meech, and Kirk Maltby.