Photo by Paul Gilham/NHLI via Getty Images
The Wings open their season this afternoon (3 p.m. EDT) on Versus against the St. Louis Blues in Stockholm, Sweden. The two biggest question marks for this game is whether Chris Osgood will be well enough to play and who will get the final spot on the fourth line (Kirk Maltby or Patrick Eaves).
Detroit finished up its preseason with a 6-2 victory over Farjestad on Wednesday afternoon. Due to Chris Osgood being under the weather, netminder Jimmy Howard started in goal and had a very strong outing, making some key saves right off the bat. Henrik Zetterberg played in his first exhibition game, receiving a loud ovation from the fans and scoring the second goal of the game. Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle has some thoughts on the game.
In Other News
- In its season preview, The Detroit News talks about the media’s predictions and the team’s thoughts on being underdogs. Their website also takes a look at the Western Conference and Eastern Conference. MLive.com has its season prediction up with the Wings as the second seed in the Western Conference.
- The Swedes remember the Vasa shipwreck and the history surrounding it.
- The team’s focus remains on improving its defense this year to compensate for the 88 goals lost. Babcock will look to his third line for offense according to the NHL.com.
- MLive.com takes a look at Nick Lidstrom’s 18th season with the Red Wings.
- The Grand Rapids Press has a great feature article on how Justin Abdelkader has grown up in front of our eyes.
- The Detroit Free Press writes that FSDetroit has an all-new digital TV studio in Southfield.
- Kyle at Babcock’s Death Stare is pumped about the upcoming season and he tells his readers why that is.
- EA Sports simulated this season and the results showed the Penguins repeating and the Wings finishing eighth in the conference.
- The Grand Rapids Griffins named Jamie Tardiff the new captain of the squad.
- Surprising news came out of New Jersey as former Wing Brendan Shanahan announced that he would not play for the Devils after signing a one-year deal this summer. This decision was reportedly amicable and mutual with both parties.
- Babcock spoke with NHL.com about Todd Bertuzzi. He also hopes to cut the ice time for forwards Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk per The Detroit News.
- Nightmare on Helm Street is pretty excited for the season to start today and liked some of the things he saw in preseason.
- Andreas Lilja may not be able to play in Detroit’s two games against the Blues to start this season, but he will still enjoy his time in Sweden.