Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images
The Wings opened their season with back-to-back games in Stockholm, Sweden, over the past weekend. Unfortunately, the games didn’t go quite as planned with Detroit dropping both contests to the St. Louis Blues, 4-3 and 5-3 respectively. NHL.com writes that it was a bittersweet experience for the Swedes.
Bloggers weren’t thrilled with the goaltending and defensive struggles, allowing three goals in the second period in both outings. However, not everyone is panicking just yet. Motown Wings dissected both games, taking a look at the numbers and the goals. The Triple Deke has reaction to both games. Casey at Winging It In Motown posted the good, the bad, and the ugly of the series in Sweden.
The Detroit Free Press discusses that the team will have to work on its penalty kill and correct the defensive lapses that were evident over the weekend. The paper also noted the adulation the Swedish fans had for the Wings’ captain and a few other Swedes on the roster. The Detroit News writes that goaltender Jimmy Howard will be looking for redemption in his next start. According to MLive.com, coach Mike Babcock is concerned with the team’s lack of play for a complete 60 minutes.
In Other News
- Detroit will host its home opener — and first game back in the States — on Thursday evening against the Chicago Blackhawks at Joe Louis Arena. All fans in attendance will receive a magnet schedule.
- Darren Helm is questionable to play in the game, according to MLive.com. He missed all of preseason and the first two regular season contests due to a shoulder injury. The only roster change for Thursday’s game is that Derek Meech will partner with Jonathan Ericsson on the blue line, replacing Brett Lebda.
- Upon the team’s return from Sweden, netminder Daniel Larsson was assigned to Grand Rapids resulting in goalie Jordan Pearce being sent to Toledo (ECHL).
- The Grand Rapids Griffins won their season opener, 3-1, over the Peoria Rivermen.
- Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle has story lines for the 2009-10 season up on the blog. What do you think will be the big story of this season?
- Winging It In Motown takes a look by the numbers from what happened in preseason and the two regular season games.
- Hockeytown Static caught a funny video of Yzerman’s cell phone (with the ringtone to a certain Black Eyed Peas song) going off during a TV interview.
- Red Wings Hardware found this cute video of a little kid reciting the Herb Brooks’ speech from the movie Miracle.