Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
The Detroit Red Wings dropped a 6-2 loss to the Buffalo Sabres on the road Tuesday evening. The game was even at one goal apiece heading into the first intermission, but the second period was a different story when Buffalo capitalized on Detroit’s mistakes. The Sabres posted four goals in the middle frame, including two from Thomas Vanek who left the game with a shoulder injury after his second tally. Netminder Chris Osgood was chased from the goal by Buffalo’s fifth goal of the evening midway through the second period. Detroit’s two goal scorers were Valtteri Filppula (Niklas Kronwall, Jason Williams) and Tomas Holmstrom (Brian Rafalski, Henrik Zetterberg). George Malik of Snapshots wasn’t pleased with the team’s play and said it was a ‘burn the tape’ game.
In Other News
- Darren Helm returned from his shoulder injury, making his season debut on Tuesday night and being placed on a line with Patrick Eaves and Brad May.
- Forwards Kris Draper and Kirk Maltby were healthy scratches in the game. Coach Mike Babcock explained to The Detroit News that they will use a rotation for a bit when it comes to the lineup before making any final decisions.
- In the NHL.com piece on the Central Division, Larry Wigge emphasizes goalie Chris Osgood’s dedication to ensuring that this year is not a repeat of last season. MLive.com also took a look at Chris Osgood and his intended play this year.
- Offensive production has not been an issue for the Wings this year writes The Detroit News.
- In Saturday’s win, Todd Bertuzzi saw some time on the top line with Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. Coach Mike Babcock spoke with the Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News about it.
- Can’t get enough of that victory over the Capitals? Motown Wings has more analysis of the game, including video and thorough statistical analysis.
- Nightmare on Helm Street drew a few comparisons and contrasts between Detroit and Buffalo, including a comparison of stats. On the Wings, Winging It In Motown, and Snapshots also had some Wings-Sabres previews up on their respective blogs.
- Red Wings Central describes prospect Willie Coetzee as a great free-agent find.
- The Red Wings aren’t the only teams to lose a player due to a serious injury this early in the season, although Johan Franzen may be the biggest offensive name on Fox Sport’s list.
- Captain Nicklas Lidstrom remains two points away from notching his 1,000th career point.
- The NHL website notes that former Detroit goaltender Dominik Hasek is on the Czech’s invite list for the upcoming Winter Games.
- Former Red Wings defenseman Chris Chelios will sign a 25-game tryout contract with the Chicago Wolves (AHL) in order to get a contract with an NHL team per Puck Daddy.
- The Fourth Period reports that former Wing Kyle Quincey had actually been traded to Dallas, but the deal was nixed after Quincey did not pass their physical due to a herniated disc. He wound up being placed on waivers and getting claimed by the LA Kings. Quincey was later traded to Colorado this past summer.
- The New York Post details why Brendan Shanahan is no longer with the New Jersey Devils.
- Interesting note: Windsor will host the CHL Top Prospects Game according to the Windsor Star and will take place sometime in January.