Photo by Dave Reginek/NHLI via Getty Images
After suffering a 6-2 drubbing at the hands of the Buffalo Sabres, the Detroit Red Wings bounced back with a 5-2 victory over the LA Kings in front of the Joe Louis Arena crowd Thursday night. Jonathan Ericsson, Tomas Holmstrom, Henrik Zetterberg, Kirk Maltby, and Brian Rafalski (empty-netter) all scored in the win.
Michael Caples breaks down the game for DRW.com, including a look at Maltby’s great goal. A couple of bloggers commented on the game, including Red Wings Blog, Nightmare on Helm Street, and The Triple Deke.
The best moment of the night was when captain Nick Lidstrom registered his 1,000th career point on an assist for the game’s fourth goal. Lidstrom recorded two helpers in the contest, receiving a standing ovation from the fans in attendance when the PA announced his milestone. He joins Mats Sundin as the only two Swedish-born players to reach the 1,000-point plateau.
In Other News
- Pavel Datsyuk did not play in Thursday’s game as he is out day-to-day with an upper body injury.
- Bloggers continue to express their concerns about the 6-2 loss to Buffalo: Babcock’s Death Stare, Bingo Bango, Hockeytown Static, Motown Wings, Nightmare on Helm Street, On the Wings, Out of Bounds, Red Wings Blog, Red Wings Hardware, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, The Production Line, and The Triple Deke.
- The lopsided loss has caused some discussion among the media and even resulted in coach Mike Babcock describing his team as slow.
- The Detroit Free Press reports that former Wing Sergei Fedorov has sued his former lawyers.
- Johan Franzen will have surgery today in Birmingham, Alabama, according to The Detroit News.
- The Grand Rapids Griffins are giving away 1,000 tickets to the unemployed for their home game on October 25.
- The Toledo Blade notes that former Notre Dame goalie Jordan Pearce will be the team’s No. 1 goaltender.
- A blog for The Hockey News describes the “Homer Effect” and its influence in the NHL.