Photo by Dave Reginek/NHLI via Getty Images
Wings beat Canucks 3-1
On Steve Yzerman Hall of Fame night, the Detroit Red Wings defeated the Vancouver Canucks 3-1 at Joe Louis Arena. Forward Tomas Holmstrom scored his team-leading ninth goal of the season, while Henrik Zetterberg posted the game-winner in the second period. Defenseman Niklas Kronwall’s insurance goal and empty-netter was his third tally in as many games. With Chris Osgood and Kirk Maltby out with the flu, netminder Jimmy Howard stopped 31 shots and Drew Miller made his debut in the Winged Wheel.
The win gives Detroit five in six games. It was the first game back at the Joe for former Wing Mikael Samuelsson. A couple bloggers have their thoughts of the game, including The Production Line and Winging It In Motown.
Detroit dominates Columbus in 9-1 win
Seven different players scored in the 9-1 blowout over the Blue Jackets with each one interestingly scoring their third goal of the season on Wednesday evening. Forward Dan Cleary got the score going with a tally just 1:05 into the contest. Kronwall posted two power-play markers, while forward Justin Abdelkader added two third-period goals.
You can read recaps from the following websites/blogs: Babcock’s Death Stare, Big Red Machine, Bingo Bango, Motown Wings, Octopus Thrower, Red Wings Blog, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, The Production Line, The Triple Deke, The Scrappy Octopus, and Winging It In Motown.
In Other News
- The Wings picked former Spartan Drew Miller off of waivers on Wednesday. Some bloggers chimed in with their thoughts on the Wings’ pickup: Babcock’s Death Stare, Motown Wings, The Production Line, and Winging It In Motown.
- The Detroit Free Press describes what you can find in the new Steve Yzerman exhibit at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto.
- Chris McCosky of The Detroit News writes that the Wings are not interested in goaltender J.S. Giguere.
- MLive.com reports that Jason Williams will not need surgery on his broken leg. He will be in a cast for six weeks and will then need two more to practice and skate before returning to the lineup.
- The Phoenix Coyotes are in need of a defenseman and they are scouting former Wing Chris Chelios as a possibility.
- Led by Red Wings vice president Steve Yzerman, the Red Wings are teaming up with Fifth Third Bank to encourage Southeast Michigan high school students to volunteer in the community. The new S.H.O.T.S. program (Students Helping Others Through Service) is an initiative designed to encourage high school students to volunteer their time and efforts while creating a competition among the student groups with monthly and overall winners taking home several great prizes.