Former Red Wings player Brendan Shanahan announced his retirement yesterday. He finished his career with 656 goals (11th overall) and is the only player to score over 600 goals and log over 2,000 penalty minutes. MLive.com spoke with former captain Steve Yzerman about what Shanny meant to the team. Shanahan was the player that former coach Scotty Bowman referred to as “the missing piece.”
DRW bloggers remembered the fan favorite for his goal scoring and his ability to shine against the Colorado Avs as he posted his 500th career goal against Patrick Roy, the Statue of Liberty marker against Roy, and he was part of the memorable March 26, 1997, battle at the Joe. Here are some of their thoughts: Abel to Yzerman, Motown Wings, Octopus Thrower, Out of Bounds, Red Wings Hardware, The Production Line, and The Triple Deke.
In Other News
- Goaltender Chris Osgood remains out for tonight’s game against Dallas thanks to the lingering flu bug. As a result, Jimmy Howard will get his fourth straight start in net and Daniel Larsson will remain the backup netminder. Ozzie practiced with the team yesterday for the first time in about a week, but wasn’t ready to play a full game yet.
- If you are coming to tonight’s game at the Joe, the Wings are hosting a toy drive for Toys for Tots so please bring new, unwrapped toys (please no stuffed animals) to help underprivileged kids in the southeastern Michigan area.
- With the help of teammate Kris Draper, Darren Helm has shown improvement on the ice this regular season.
- Red Wings’ players like Niklas Kronwall and the third and fourth lines have stepped up into the void left by some of the players who left in the offseason or were injured early on. The defenseman has recorded three goals and four assists in the last three contests.
- Kronwall’s defensive partner Brad Stuart is also getting a shot at offense, playing at the point on the second power-play unit with Jason Williams still injured.
- The Wings welcomed the Memorial Cup champs, the Windsor Spitfires, to practice on Monday.
- Wings’ top draft pick from this summer, Landon Ferraro, is slowly coming around after suffering a knee injury according to Red Wings Central.
- Winging It In Motown takes a look at some stats and awards Wings’ players some various honors, including the Patrick Eaves Award.
- Big Red Machine posted its three (Wings) stars of the week. The NHL named Henrik Zetterberg the first star of the week with a league-leading nine points, two game-winners and a plus-five rating last week.