After the Dallas Stars ended the Wings’ three-game winning streak on Wednesday night, Detroit will look to redeem itself tonight at Joe Louis Arena when the team hosts the Florida Panthers at 7:30 p.m. EDT. Goaltender Chris Osgood will return to the crease tonight after sitting out the last three games due to a virus per the Detroit Free Press. Kirk Maltby will also return to the lineup tonight after fighting the flu and missing three games, replacing Brad May. Don’t forget to bring a new, unwrapped toy (please no stuffed animals) as the Wings will hold another Toys for Tots drive tonight.
Wings lose 3-1 to Stars
The 3-1 loss to Dallas stung, in particular, because an apparent goal by Brad May was overturned according to The Detroit News and it marked Detroit’s first loss in regulation at home. It was not deemed a goal thanks to an intent to blow the whistle call as explained by Mike Murphy, the NHL’s senior vice president of hockey operations. The DRW blogosphere was angry about the call and had no trouble voicing their opinions: Abel to Yzerman, Babcock’s Death Stare, Below the Crossbar, Big Red Machine, DetroitHockey.net, Hockeytown Static, Motown Wings, Nightmare on Helm Street, On the Wings, Red Wings Blog, Red Wings Hardware, The Production Line, The Scrappy Octopus, The Triple Deke, Unconnected Red Wings Blog and Winging It In Motown. Other hockey bloggers even chimed in, including Puck Daddy, Gross Misconduct, From the Rink, the New York Times’ Slap Shot Blog and Mike Chen’s Hockey Blog.
Forward Henrik Zetterberg extended his point streak to four with Detroit’s only tally on Wednesday. Stars forward James Neal, who played for the local Plymouth Whalers for two seasons including their 2006-07 OHL Championship season, posted two assists and was named the game’s first star.
In Other News
- Osgood’s illness gave netminder Jimmy Howard the reins and he benefited from the extra workload according to the Detroit Free Press. Coach Mike Babcock told MLive.com that Howard’s four-game stretch as a starter helped solidify the Wings’ goaltending situation.
- DRW.com’s Bill Roose talked with Brad May about his career as a fighter.
- Need a gift idea for the hockey fan in your life? If so, the Red Wings have an entertainment package — Homer for the Holidays — for you at a great value. For just $96, you can purchase a ticket to three games (list of games available can be found here) and one free general admission ticket to see a movie at any Uptown Entertainment theater.
- Bruce MacLeod of The Macomb Daily talked to the newest Wing, Drew Miller, about making a return to his hometown.
- The NHL.com writes that Jeremy Williams and Kris Newbury have helped to energize the Grand Rapids Griffins, which is the Wings’ AHL affiliate.
- Hot Ice, which is a Russian magazine, interviewed former Wings forward Sergei Fedorov.
- Nightmare on Helm Street sized up Detroit’s opponent tonight, the Florida Panthers.