The Wings returned home from a two-game road trip, which resulted in a narrow 3-2 shootout win over the Canadiens on Saturday and a 3-1 loss to Nashville on Monday. The one positive in the loss to the Preds was forward Drew Miller scoring his first goal in the Winged Wheel.
The Detroit media and bloggers commented on the loss and what it means: Babcock’s Death Stare, Big Red Machine, Bingo Bango, Detroit Free Press, The Detroit News, Hockeytown Static, MLive.com, Nightmare on Helm Street, On the Wings, Red Wings Blog, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, The Production Line, The Triple Deke, and Winging It In Motown.
Coach Mike Babcock says he will shuffle his defensive pairings tonight vs. Atlanta at the Joe. He also told MLive.com that Jimmy Howard will get the start in goal tonight.
In Other News:
- Georges Laraque received a five-game suspension for his hit on defenseman Niklas Kronwall, which resulted in a sprained MCL that will keep him out of the lineup for 4-8 weeks. Niklas Kronwall spoke with the Detroit Free Press and MLive.com, saying that he didn’t believe Laraque intended to cause harm. DRW bloggers chimed in about what they viewed — a dirty hit: Babcock’s Death Stare, Hockeytown Static, Nightmare on Helm Street, Red Wings Blog, Red Wings Corner, Red Wings Hardware, and The Scrappy Octopus.
- Alex Trebek, the host of Jeapordy and a Wings’ fan growing up, made an appearance at the Joe last Friday to shoot a segment for his show.
- Big Red Machine posted her three stars of the week from the Wings’ roster.
- The Detroit Free Press commented on Darren McCarty’s appearance on Versus as the guest studio analysis during the broadcast of the Wings-Preds game.
- Bill at Abel to Yzerman is a bit concerned about the loss of talent both to free agency and injuries this season.
- Puck Daddy names captain Nick Lidstrom the best player of the decade.
- Nashville’s Shea Weber told The Detroit News that he feels bad his fight with Andreas Lilja in February has kept him out of the game for this long.
- Ansar Khan of MLive.com writes that Todd Bertuzzi is getting frustrated with his lack of offensive production and hopes to pick up his scoring and soon.
- Red Wings Central reports that the Wings want to see prospect Jesper Samuelsson shape up.
- The Production Line evaluates where the team stands after making it through a quarter of the regular season.
- The Triple Deke lists the five top individual performances by a Red Wings player this decade (video clips included). What do you think of his list? Anything you would add?
- The latest edition of random award winners and stats update is up at Winging It In Motown.