The Wings come back from a day off yesterday for the Thanksgiving holiday and will face off against Calgary tonight at 7:00 p.m. EDT. If you plan to attend tonight’s game, be sure to get there early to check out the Chilly Cookout Pre-Game Party going on along the riverfront starting at 4:30 p.m. EDT.
Detroit hopes to get a win tonight after dropping four of the last five games, including a 2-0 loss to the Atlanta Thrashers at Joe Louis Arena on Wednesday evening. Despite peppering the Atlanta goaltender with 40 shots, the Wings were unable to get the puck into the back of the cage. The loss marked the first time Detroit has been shut out this season, according to MLive.com. Michael Caples of DRW.com also broke down the game.
Some of the Red Wings bloggers offered up their thoughts on the loss: Babcock’s Death Stare, Hockeytown Static, Motown Wings, On the Wings, Red Wings Blog, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, The Production Line, The Scrappy Octopus, and Winging It In Motown.
In Other News
- Want to know if any of the players have traditions for Turkey Day or what they’re most thankful for? Red Wings TV talked to some about the guys and the Detroit Free Press noted that Kris Draper will have a very full house thanks to the holiday. MLive.com spoke with Jonathan Ericsson and Ville Leino, who are pretty new to the Thanksgiving holiday.
- The Detroit News reports that Johan Franzen is aiming for a return to skating by Christmas after tearing his ACL on Oct. 8.
- Big Red Machine linked to an interview Darren Helm did with Hockey Night in Canada Radio.
- The Wings continue to struggle offensively, scoring five goals total in the last five games according to the Detroit Free Press.
- Chris McCosky of The Detroit News has a thorough feature piece on enforcer Brad May and his fighting career.
- GM Ken Holland went on “The Huge Show” to speak about the Wings’ and their injury bug. You can listen to the interview at MLive.com.
- The Detroit Free Press and MLive.com point out the Wings continuing penalty kill woes as Detroit’s PK sits No. 28 overall with a 74.4% success rate this season. Bill at Abel to Yzerman chimes in with his thoughts on the team’s PK.
- Defenseman Jakub Kindl, who plays in Grand Rapids for the Wings’ AHL affiliate, leads the way in Red Wings Central’s preliminary prospect ranking.