St. Louis goaltender Ty Conklin blanked his former team 1-0 on Wednesday night at Joe Louis Arena. Conklin stopped all of Detroit’s 42 shots to hand the Blues their third straight road win and fifth victory in their last six outings. Forward Brad Boyes scored the game’s only marker just 1:56 into the game on the Blues’ second shot. Goalie Jimmy Howard had another strong performance in net, stopping 25 of 26 shots in the loss.
Unfortunately, the Wings lost another player to injury when forward Dan Cleary, who ranks third on the team in goals (seven) and points (16), got hit during the third period. The resulting separated shoulder means that Cleary will be out for about the next four weeks. The DRW bloggers aren’t too happy with this latest development: Abel to Yzerman, Bingo Bango, Fun Night at the Joe, The Production Line, The Triple Deke, and Winging It In Motown.
“I think we’re going to get better when we get guys back,” captain Nicklas Lidstrom said. “But right now, we have to get some wins with the players we have, and we’re confident we can get it done. I don’t think we’re getting nervous, but we see the standings every day.”
While the Wings currently sit ninth — one spot out of the playoffs — in the Western Conference standings, they still have 52 games left to play this season and time to move up the standings. The Detroit News notes that “the Wings are now 1-5-1 in their last seven home games, mustering a whopping three goals in the six non-wins.”
DRW bloggers discussed the 1-0 loss to St. Louis: Big Red Machine, Bingo Bango, Motown Wings, Nightmare on Helm Street, On the Wings, Red Wings Blog, Red Wings Hardware, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, The Production Line, The Scrappy Octopus, Unconnected Red Wings Blog, and Winging It In Motown.
The puck drops tonight at the Joe when the Wings take on the Anaheim Ducks at 7:30 p.m. EDT. The game will be televised on FSDetroit.
In Other News
- Netminder Jimmy Howard received Carhartt’s “Hardest Working Player of the Month” for December. Howard “posted a 6-2-0 record with a 2.12 goals-against average and a .923 save percentage in November” and became “the first Red Wings’ goalie to earn the award since Osgood in Nov. 2007.”
- Coach Mike Babcock told reporters that Brad Stuart has been the team’s best defenseman so far this season, saying that “he’s been excellent.”
- Former Wing Darren McCarty announced his retirement earlier this week, ending a 15-year NHL career in which he won four Stanley Cup titles. Abel to Yzerman rounded up some YouTube video clips of the best McCarty moments. Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle chimes in with its favorite Mac memories.
- With New Jersey goalie Martin Brodeur matching Terry Sawchuk’s regular season shutout career record of 103 on Monday, NHL.com decided to take a look and write about the former Red Wing goalie Sawchuk being a shutout machine.
- Kyle at Babcock’s Death Stare talks about how weird it is to see the Wings’ sitting out of the playoffs right now.
- The Detroit News writes that Tomas Holmstrom keeps on fighting in front of the net.
- The number of injured Red Wings has given rookie forward Justin Abdelkader a more prominent role on the team.
- The Detroit Free Press reports that Valtteri Filppula got his cast removed from his broken wrist on Monday.
- Kris Draper has seen his game improve this year and it all started with his workouts this summer.
- Edmonton Oilers coach Pat Quinn says that captain Nick Lidstrom is still an elite defenseman.
- The Grand Rapids Press talked to prospect Jakub Kindl about his five-day stint with the Red Wings after being called up from the Griffins on Dec. 2.
- Red Wings TV spoke with Babcock and GM Ken Holland about the Wings’ partnership with the Salvation Army. The Detroit Free Press breaks down specific fundraising totals for each of the four Red Wings’ teams.
- Puck Daddy selected the five best and five worst draft picks this decade. Johan Franzen and Jonathan Ericsson make the five best list.
- Want to track the Wings’ gain vs. loss with regards to the change in the team’s lineup thanks to the offseason? Motown Wings breaks it down for you.
- Next Monday, the Wings host the Phoenix Coyotes at the Joe. Fans attending the 7 p.m. EDT game will receive a holiday ornament giveaway. To order tickets, please visit Ticketmaster.com.