With a 3-2 win over the Phoenix Coyotes on Monday evening at Joe Louis Arena, the Red Wings have now strung together three straight wins — all of which were 3-2 wins. The Wings saw goals from Patrick Eaves, Derek Meech, and call-up Kris Newbury and then hung on with Jimmy Howard making some key saves to close out the game. Unfortunately, another Red Wing — defenseman Jonathan Ericsson — suffered a left knee injury during the game. The Detroit Free Press notes that he did not put any weight on his leg as he came off the ice, but we do not know the severity of his injury yet.
A few Wings’ bloggers offered up their thoughts on the game and Ericsson’s injury: Abel to Yzerman, Babcock’s Death Stare, Fight Night at the Joe, On the Wings, Red Wings Blog, Red Wings Corner, Red, White & Black-n-Blue, Snapshots, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, The Production Line, and Winging It In Motown.
Forward Darren Helm missed Monday’s game due to a strained tendon wrist injury per the Detroit Free Press, causing the Wings to call up Kris Newbury from the Grand Rapids Griffins (AHL). Surprisingly enough, Newbury netted the game’s first goal in his Red Wings’ debut. When the DRW bloggers learned of the Helm injury, it appeared some panic appeared to set in: Abel to Yzerman, Babcock’s Death Stare, Nightmare on Helm Street and On the Wings.
In Other News
- In the last three games, veteran forward Todd Bertuzzi has recorded four goals — two of which game in overtime and a shootout — which means plenty of media members and bloggers are talking about him: Babcock’s Death Stare, Bingo Bango, Hockeytown Static, MLive.com, Nightmare on Helm Street, Red Wings Hardware, Snapshots, and Winging It In Motown.
- The Detroit Free Press examines the friendship between goaltenders Chris Osgood and Jimmy Howard.
- With all of the injuries, forward Patrick Eaves has had a chance to grow into a more prominent role with the team writes The Detroit News. Head coach Mike Babcock has been impressed with not only Eaves’ play, but the attitude he brings according to MLive.com.
- The Wings have seen their penalty kill pick up over the last week or so notes the Detroit Free Press and MLive.com.
- Rookie forward Justin Abdelkader registered the first fight of his career, as pointed out by MLive.com.
- The 12 Days of Christmas with the Red Wings is a daily feature from the Detroit Free Press leading up to the Christmas holiday. Day 1 features netminder Chris Osgood.
- Some of the DRW bloggers got together to make a weekly Red Wings podcast called The Obstructed View with the first episode going live this past Sunday.