The Red Wings looked impressive in a 4-1 win over the San Jose Sharks, who currently sit second in the Western Conference standings with 63 points. Three of Detroit’s goals came in the second period from forwards Pavel Datsyuk, Patrick Eaves, and Dan Cleary. Darren Helm added a marker 4:34 into the final frame. The Red Wings now sit ninth in the standings with 52 points — one point out of a playoff slot. The Wings ended their 10-day, four-game west coast road trip and returned to Detroit with six of a possible eight points. In fact, The Detroit News notes that the Red Wings have gone 5-1-1 in the last seven games.
The Wings’ convincing victory over San Jose gave bloggers plenty to write about: Babcock’s Death Stare, Fight Night at the Joe, Red Wings Blog, Red Wings Hardware, Red, White & Black-n-Blue, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, The Production Line, Unconnected Red Wings Blog, and Winging It In Motown.
In Other News
- Bloggers are still talking about Detroit netminder Jimmy Howard and his 51-save performance in a narrow victory over LA on Thursday evening: Abel to Yzerman, Babcock’s Death Stare, Nightmare on Helm Street, and The Production Line.
- MLive.com states that because of Howard’s recent performances, he is now one of the top candidates for the Calder Trophy given to the league’s top rookie.
- Abel to Yzerman posted a screen capture of a broadcast that shows Howard’s month-by-month stats and they just get better each month.
- The Detroit Free Press and Babcock’s Death Stare recently posted their respective midseason report cards. What grade would you give the team through this point in the season?
- The Detroit News writes that Todd Bertuzzi is judged differently than his fellow NHLers. Abel to Yzerman has an interesting response to the article.
- The Detroit Free Press discusses Darren Helm’s speed and nickname (Danger). Veteran forwards Kirk Maltby and Justin Abdelkader have dubbed Helm and and Justin Abdelkader as the two main characters from the movie “Dumb and Dumber.”
- MLive.com notes that “among the players currently on the Red Wings roster, including the injured players, 14 are in the final year of their contract.” The article also mentions that Lidstrom won’t make a decision about whether he will retire or not until the conclusion of the season.
- Nightmare on Helm Street compares and contrasts the standings in the two conferences. The Wings have 52 points and don’t hold a playoff spot right now, while seeds five through seven in the Eastern Conference have less points than the Wings.