The Detroit Red Wings ended its five-game stretch on the road in Long Island, getting shut out 6-0 to the Islanders on Tuesday evening. Goalkeeper Jimmy Howard earned his ninth consecutive start, but allowed three goals on 20 shots. Veteran netminder Chris Osgood entered the game in the second period, allowing three markers on 11 shots. The Islanders registered a pair of goals in each period, while Detroit could only muster 16 shots on goal through 60 minutes of play.
Here’s a roundup of reactions to the game from DRW bloggers: Fight Night at the Joe, Red Wings Blog, Red, White & Black-n-Blue, The Production Line, Unconnected Red Wings Blog, and Winging It In Motown.
The Wings return home to face off against the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday at Joe Louis Arena. All fans in attendance will receive a tote bag giveaway.
In Other News
- The Detroit Free Press provided an injury update: Defenseman Jonathan Ericsson hopes to return to the lineup this Thursday against Carolina after suffering a deep bone bruise in his left knee on Dec. 14. Fellow Swedish blueliner Niklas Kronwall is unsure of when he’ll be able to return to skating after a setback in his rehab. The article also states that forward Tomas Holmstrom is eying a return for somewhere around Jan. 25-27.
- The Detroit News notes that forward Johan Franzen is pleased with his rehabilitation after tearing his ACL in October. MLive.com reports that Franzen could even return before the Olympic break if all goes well.
- DRW.com writes about Darren Helm’s recent offensive success as he has scored five goals in as many games.
- MLive.com says that despite missing a month due to a separated shoulder, Wings forward Dan Cleary’s scoring remains intact.
- Grand Rapids Griffins forward Tomas Tatar spoke with the Grand Rapids Press about his time playing in the World Junior Championship.
- USA Hockey named Detroit defenseman Brian Rafalski as an alternate captain for the 2010 Winter Olympics next month, which will be the third trip for Rafalski in his career.
- Red Wings Central has a report on Daniel Larsson, the starting goaltender for the Grand Rapids Griffins.
- Former Red Wings’ netminder Curtis Joseph announced his retirement on Tuesday after 19 years in the NHL.
- Winging It In Motown previews an important week for the Red Wings. The blog also takes a look at where Jimmy Howard sits in the league’s goaltending stats.
- The Triple Deke blogged an ode to Bruce MacLeod, who is the Wings’ beat reporter for The Macomb Daily and the man behind Red Wings Corner.
- Snapshots references a piece on ESPN.com that featured an interview with Todd Bertuzzi on his role with the team.
- The latest episode of The Obstructed View, which is a podcast featuring DRW bloggers, came out this week.