The Detroit Red Wings built a 4-2 lead with two goals from captain Nicklas Lidstrom in the third period, but the Phoenix Coyotes scored twice in the last minute and a half of the game to force overtime. Phoenix defenseman Ed Jovanovski recorded his ninth marker of the season with 21.6 seconds left. Coyotes’ captain Shane Doan capped the comeback, scoring the game-winner with 1:10 left to top Detroit 5-4 in extra time.
Since the Wings dropped their third straight game after posting a two-goal lead, which has frustrated some DRW bloggers: Babcock’s Death Stare, Bingo Bango, DetroitHockey.net, Fight Night at the Joe, Nightmare on Helm Street, Octopus Thrower, Red Wings Blog, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, and Winging It In Motown.
In Other News
- Since suffering a concussion on Feb. 28, 2009, defenseman Andreas Lilja has been out of the lineup. Lilja experienced his 14th consecutive day without a headache on Monday even after teammate Johan Franzen purposefully hit him against the boards in practice. This development means Lilja can take the next step toward playing writes the Detroit Free Press, The Detroit News, and MLive.com.
- Defenseman Niklas Kronwall played in his first game since spraining his knee back on Nov. 21 last night, logging 21:57 of ice time. Head coach Mike Babcock has yet to decide whether to play Kronner or not tonight against Minnesota since it would be back-to-back games per MLive.com.
- Babcock’s Death Stare and Motown Wings referenced an MLive.com article that notes that forward Johan Franzen may be the Wings only injured player in 10 days or so.
- The Detroit Free Press talked to the Red Wings about their Super Bowl picks as part of the Wings’ NFL playoff pool.
- Red Wings Central wrote an update on Detroit prospect Sergei Kolosov and how he’s performing in Grand Rapids for the Griffins.
- NHL.com took a look at how the “Gordie Howe Hat Trick” came to fruition.
- The latest episode of The Obstructed View, which is a podcast run by various Red Wings bloggers, is now live.