The Detroit Red Wings lost 5-2 to the Minnesota Wild on Wednesday night, giving Detroit two losses in back-to-back games, and causing the Wings to fall to the ninth seed in the Western Conference standings. Pavel Datsyuk scored twice in the first period to give Detroit its only markers of the night. Head coach Mike Babcock called the Wings’ performance in the loss “unacceptable.” Chris McCosky of The Detroit News described goaltender Chris Osgood’s play as rusty in his second start in five games.
Wings’ fans took to their blogs to vent about the loss: DetroitHockey.net, Fight Night at the Joe, Motown Wings, Nightmare on Helm Street, On the Wings, Red Wings Blog, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, The Production Line, Unconnected Red Wings Blog, and Winging It In Motown.
In Other News
- One of the big storylines coming out of Wednesday’s game was defenseman Brad Stuart leaving the game early due to a left shoulder sprain, sparking understandable concern among fans. According to The Detroit News, it appears that the injury is not serious as Stuart could play Friday night against Nashville at Joe Louis Arena. GM Ken Holland has him listed as day-to-day.
- The Detroit News says that the Wings will not stand in the way of star forward Johan Franzen should he want to play for Sweden in the 2010 Winter Olympics next month. The Swede was cleared to play on Wednesday, but will need at least two weeks to get in game shape per the Detroit Free Press.
- USA Today reporter Kevin Allen writes that reports of captain Nicklas Lidstrom’s demise are greatly exaggerated in his Mucking and Grinding blog. James Mirtle of The Globe and Mail named Lidstrom as the top defensive defenseman in the NHL this year.
- MLive.com reports that forward Jason Williams aims to return to the lineup in tonight’s game if he gets the all-clear from the team doctors.
- Kukla’s Korner posted the audio from coach Mike Babcock’s radio interview on Thursday with the Fan590 in Toronto.
- Interested in how some of the Wings reacted to seeing their likeness on a hockey trading card for the first time? Check out this video at Red Wings TV.
- DRW.com posted four Q&A with Red Wings’ alumni, including Ron Duguay, Tim Cheveldae, Dennis Polonich, and Reed Larson.
- Joe Louis Arena will host a game Saturday night between in-state rival programs Michigan and Michigan State as part of the Hockey Weekend Across America. The two schools announced yesterday that they will face off against each other outdoors in the Big House on Dec. 11 in what will be called The Big Chill.
- Prospect Update per Red Wings Central: “After an outstanding first half with the Grand Rapids Griffins, Red Wings Central has elevated Tatar to No. 1 in its mid-season prospect ranking.”
- Be sure to stop by Winging It In Motown for its Hockeytown 4 Haiti game thread on Jan. 31 when the Wings visit Pittsburgh. Five cents will be donated to the cause for every comment made during the game and there is no cost to you to leave a comment. The proceeds will go to the American Red Cross in support of their Haiti relief efforts.