Photo by John Russell/NHLI via Getty Images
It took a lot longer than they may have liked, but the Wings finally broke a scoreless tie in a shootout to beat the Predators in Nashville. Niklas Kronwall scored in the 11th round – his first career shootout attempt – to lift the Wings to a 1-0 win. Jimmy Howard stopped 33 shots, and 10 more in the shootout, to earn his second shutout of the season.
In other news:
- The Red Wings’ official site reports that Howard was named the NHL’s second star of the week.
- The Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James wonders where the Wings could be in the standings if they were healthy all year.
- The Wings have surged into sixth place in TSN’s Power Rankings.
- In Duffer’s Dables, Bob Duff says that Howard is establishing himself in the Calder Trophy race.
- MLive’s Ansar Khan says the Wings got a laugh out of what happened to Patrick Eaves during his shootout attempt.
- Bleacher Report says it’s time to celebrate in Hockeytown, and that other NHL teams should be scared.
- Eight Legged Freaks remembers the anniversary of the Wings/Avalanche rivalry beginning.