Photo by Dave Reginek/NHLI via Getty Images
The Wings gave the fans at Joe Louis Arena a bit of a scare Tuesday night, but still managed to get the job done. The Wings took an early 4-o lead on goals by Andreas Lilja, Niklas Kronwall, Drew Miller, and Johan Franzen in the first and second period. Then the Oilers stormed back, and managed to tie the game on Tom Gilbert’s second goal of the night halfway through the third period. But with 1:07 left to play in regulation, Brad Stuart came through for the Wings, tipping a shot from Pavel Datsyuk in for the game-winning goal. Goaltender Jimmy Howard picked up 22 saves en route to his 33rd win of the season.
In other news:
- The Red Wings’ official site reports that the Ilitch companies have made a hire for an executive VP of sales.
- The Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James says that even a BBQ at JLA couldn’t get Darren Helm and Dan Cleary on the ice.
- Detroit News writer Chris McCosky discusses Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg’s milestones.
- Kukla’s Korner says that the Wings are the team to watch out for in the playoffs.
- Bleacher Report says it’s gut check time for the Wings, who are fighting to keep their impressive streaks intact.
- Nightmare on Helm Street analyzes the Wings’ sprint through March.