Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
The Wings traveled to their Central Division rivals’ arena and ruined their bid for the top spot in the Western Conference by knocking off the Blackhawks 3-2 in overtime. Brad Stuart had the game-winning goal, firing the puck into an empty net after a pass from Dan Cleary. The win wrapped up fifth place in the conference for the Wings, which means they will take on the Phoenix Coyotes in the first round of the 2010 NHL Playoffs.
In other news:
- MLive’s Ansar Khan reports that the Wings will not be making any line-up changes for Game 1.
- The Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James says the Coyotes are more experienced than one might think.
- The Windsor Star’s Bob Duff says that the Wings are in the same boat as the 2008-09 Penguins.
- The Detroit News’ Chris McCosky discusses Brad Stuart’s clutch goal in Chicago.
- Babcock’s Death Stare offers up some thoughts on the end of the regular season.
- Eight Legged Freaks gets readers ready for the playoffs.
- From the Rink breaks down the Western Conference playoff goalies.
- Motown Wings talks about how the referees of the Wings/Blackhawks game honored one of the linesmen.