(Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
For the first time in his professional career, Steve Yzerman will be a part of a different NHL club. The legendary Red Wing and hall-of-fame inductee last year is now the general manager of the Tampa Bay Lightning. Here’s a look around the Internet in regards to Yzerman’s new job, and other Wings’ news:
- The Red Wings’ official website reports on Yzerman’s new job, and discusses how him leaving is hard on the Ilitch family.
- USA Today’s Kevin Allen expects Yzerman to find success in Florida.
- Mitch Albom of the Detroit Free Press talks about how Yzerman stopped by to personally tell the Ilitch family about his decision.
- The Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James reflects on Yzerman’s on-ice skill, as well as his sense of humor.
- Lynn Henning of the Detroit News says the Lightning are the perfect fit for Yzerman’s competitive nature.
- The Detroit News’ Chris McCosky reports on Jiri Hudler’s official return, after the forward signed a two-year contract with the Wings.
- Ansar Khan of MLive.com says Dan Cleary is healing from knee surgery, and that the Wings are close to signing Ken Holland and Jim Nill to long-term extensions.
The DRW bloggers share their thoughts on Yzerman’s departure: Big Red Machine, Bingo Bango, Detroithockey.net, Eight Legged Freaks, Motown Wings, Octopus Thrower, On the Wings, Out of Bounds, Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle, The Production Line