Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch released a statement to the media on Monday saying that he is interested in purchasing the Detroit Pistons of the NBA. Here’s what members of the media are saying about the Pistons situation, and all other things involving Hockeytown:
- The Wings’ official website reports that Mr. and Mrs. Ilitch are interested in purchasing the Detroit Pistons, announces the Ruslan Salei signing, and that the NHL 2k11 Tour stopped by Hockeytown.
- Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press says that Wings want Kirk Maltby to stick around, but it may have to be a two-way deal. St. James also discusses the options presented by Salei’s signing.
- The Detroit News’ Bob Wojnowski says that Mike Ilitch would be a perfect fit for the Pistons. Fellow News writer Eric Lacy discusses Ilitch’s bid for a triple crown in the Detroit sports scene.
- MLive.com’s Chris Iott said Pistons management have received multiple offers for the team. Ansar Khan of MLive suggests that the Wings might keep Mattias Ritola but lose Drew Miller.
- Dave Dye of FoxSportsDetroit.com reports that Chris Chelios will retire and join the Wings’ front office.
Here’s what the DRW bloggers are saying about the Winged Wheel:
- Big Red Machine thinks all the pieces are falling into place for the Wings to have an impressive season.
- Bleacher Report suggests that Mr. Ilitch’s attempt at buying the Pistons means that Joe Louis Arena will no longer be the home of the Wings.
- InPlay! Magazine discusses the Jame Tardif signing for the Griffins.
- Detroithockey.net talks about the Salei signing.
- Eight Legged Freaks welcomes home Mike Modano.
- Nightmare on Helm Street suggests what the Wings’ Mount Puckmore should look like.
- Red Wings Hardware examines the Salei signing, and shares how Chelios remembered the late Bob Probert at Wrigley Field.
- Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle reports on the shenanigans from the Wings’ Alumni Charity Softball Game.
- Word on a Wing looks at the latest Wings’ roster after the signing of Salei.