Before we roll into this week’s blog, take a second to check this event out. The Red Wings’ own Patrick Eaves will be the Team Champion for the Michigan Humane Society’s fundraiser ‘Mega March for Animals’ on Oct. 3. Help Eaves help animals!
Ken Holland is still finding ways to keep the Wings’ roster intact; Justin Abdelkader has officially signed a two-year deal to remain in Detroit through 2011-12. Here’s all the latest Red Wings news from around the Web:
- The Red Wings’ official website shares a video and an article about Abdelkader and Drew Miller’s charity work at Michigan State, and examines Abdelkader’s numbers from last season.
- George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press reports that Chris Osgood is training hard during the off-season, and that GM Ken Holland is pleased with the Abdelkader signing.
- The Free Press also reports that former Wing and Michigan Wolverine Aaron Ward is retiring after 13 NHL seasons.
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News says that Niklas Kronwall’s knee is still bothering him, and he warns fans that they would really miss the Joe if the Wings moved.
- MLive.com’s Michael Zuidema says that Abdelkader is feeling very relieved after the new contract.
Here’s a look around the Wings’ blogosphere:
- Bleacher Report lists the Wings’ all-time ‘enforcers’.
- Detroithockey.net weighs in on the Abdelkader contract.
- Fight Night at the Joe breaks down the Wings’ schedule week by week.
- Nightmare on Helm Street discusses Eaves’ new role (as mentioned above).
- Octopus Thrower discusses where Modano fits on the Wings’ roster.
- On the Wings checks out some Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk stats.