The preseason hockey is in full swing, and the Red Wings’ official website’s countdown to opening night says nine days! Here’s some of the headlines about Hockeytown’s favorite team from around the web:
- The Wings’ official site reminds you to bring your smoke detectors to the preseason games this weekend, and tells you how you can help Hockey Fight Cancer this October.
- George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press reported that Darren Helm is working on his face-off skills, that Kris Draper’s injury could keep him out into the season, and that Jiri Hudler looked right at home in his JLA preseason return.
- Fellow Free Press writer Helene St. James reports that Johan Franzen will play tonight in New York, and discusses some of the younger Red Wings who are turning heads on the penalty kill.
- Ted Kulfan of the Detroit News talks about how Dan Cleary is working to recover from incredibly painful injuries, and how Justin Abdelkader’s workouts this summer are starting to pay off.
- The Grand Rapids Press’ Michael Zuidema talks about former Wing Ryan Oulahen’s life after hockey.
- Ansar Khan of MLive.com shares the Wings’ line-up for tonight’s game, that Mike Modano is starting to get acclimated to his new teammates, and that Jakub Kindl is making a push for the opening-night roster.
- FoxSportsDetroit.com’s Dana Wakiji says that Wings’ GM Ken Holland likes his team’s chances this upcoming season.
Now, for a look around the blogosphere:
- Below The Crossbar shares some questions from the weekend.
- Big Red Machine discusses the Wings’ blogosphere fantasy hockey league.
- Bleacher Report says there are plenty of reasons to be happy about this season.
- Detroithockey.net wraps up some of the recent Wings-related activities.
- Motown Wings talks about the preseason so far.
- Nightmare on Helm Street gives a reading list for the season.
- Octopus Thrower talks about Draper’s injury.
- Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle breaks down the new Wing – Modano.