Photo by Dave Reginek/ NHLI via Getty Images
It’s finally that time – the regular season is upon us. The Wings kick off the 2010-11 NHL season Friday night when they host the Anaheim Ducks at 7:30 p.m. EST. As the Wings make their final roster moves, we’ll be here with all the latest news. Some of the latest Wings news on the web:
- The Red Wings’ official site posts predictions that Hockeytown fans might like, and reports that former Wing Mathieu Dandenault has decided to retire.
- Mitch Albom of the Detroit Free Press discusses what Mr. Ilitch’s potential purchase of the Detroit Pistons could mean for the Motor City, while his coworker Michael Rosenberg says it is a bold move in hopes of building a new arena in Detroit.
- The Free Press’ Helene St. James reports that Jonathan Ericsson has been practicing with captain Nicklas Lidstrom, and that Kirk Maltby and Derek Meech were placed on waivers.
- Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News says the Wings are locked and loaded heading into this new season.
- The Detroit News’ John Niyo says Jimmy Howard is trying to be even better than he was last season.
- Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports that Mattias Ritola was claimed off waivers by Steve Yzerman’s Tampa Bay Lightning, and that former Wing Andreas Lilja was cut by the San Jose Sharks.
- Check out Fox Sports Detroit’s video preview for the 2010-11 NHL season.
Here’s what the bloggers are saying about the Winged Wheel:
- Abel to Yzerman gives a possible farewell to an original grinder.
- Big Red Machine weighs in on the start of the season by sharing a podcast.
- Bleacher Report discusses Jonathan Ericsson’s new defensive partner.
- Detroithockey.net talks about the Wings’ latest roster moves.
- Eight Legged Freaks is counting down to opening night with some important questions.
- Motown Wings shares their thoughts on roster trimming.
- Nightmare on Helm Street talks about former Wing Andreas Lilja’s situation.
- Red, White & Black-n-Blue shares their Christmas list.
- Snipe Snipe, Dangle Dangle also weighs in on Ritola being claimed off waivers.