Most of you have seen the new Red Wings commercial by now, the one that proves that the boys in red are fierce competitors on and off the ice.
On Wednesday, the game was curling, with coach Mike Babcock, trainer Piet Van Zant, Jakub Kindl and Jonathan Ericsson capturing the club’s high honors, something that was captured in all of its glory by Red Wings TV.
As for football, where most players partake in a weekly pickem competition, it was the tandem most affectionately known to teammates as “Dumb and Dumber.”
According to Kris Draper, Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader are the team’s NFL gurus. Most of the team, including the Europeans, enjoy the weekly competition that goes along with a football Sunday in America.
“Don’t ask me how they pulled it off, because I have no idea,” Draper said. “I think Abby might have a guy, or they go heads or tails … something like that.”
And during the 2008 Stanley Cup Final, it was mini golf, as Chris Osgood and Kris Draper won the Red Wings version of the Masters after Dan Cleary posted a Van de Velde-like 14, placing two balls into the water.
“I was riding Ozzie’s coattails like I have the last couple of months,” Draper told MLive.com.
- The Globe and Mail sheds more light on the ‘fun’ the Wings have.
- Nightmare on Helm Street has more on Jiri Hudler’s resurgence.
- On the Wings has your Wings-Flames preview.
- The Production Line goes Major League…
- Winging it in Motown offers some thoughts on the recently completed World Junior Championship in Buffalo.