Nicklas Lidstrom and Eric Staal have been named team Captains for the 2011 NHL All-Star Weekend in Raleigh. Both were selected by their fellow NHL All-Stars and will lead the team selection process during the new NHL All-Star Player Fantasy Draft powered by Cisco on Jan. 28.
The NHL All-Star teams will aptly be named, Team Lidstrom and Team Staal, with Lidstrom’s club wearing dark blue jerseys, with royal blue trim, navy blue helmets, gloves, pants and navy blue socks.
“With all the great players participating, it’s a great honor to be selected as Captain for this year’s All-Star Game,” Lidstrom said. “I’m really looking forward to all of the weekend’s events and I’m very excited to be a part of the draft that decides the rosters of the two teams.
Lidstrom is playing in his 19th NHL season, all with Detroit. The six-time Norris Trophy winner was named the Captain of the Red Wings before the 2006-07 season. This marks the 12th All-Star selection for Lidstrom, who currently leads all NHL defensemen with 42 points.
- The Red Wing was revealed as the 17th Guardian in the NHL Guardian Project.
- The Triple Deke has a recap of Saturday’s thrilling 6-5 victory over Columbus.
- Abel to Yzerman has a preview of Tuesday’s Red Wings-Penguins match-up.
- The Nightmare on Helm Street offers a few interesting All-Star game ideas that would go over well with fans.
- Ansar Khan of MLive.com caught up with Mike Modano, who is confident that he will return this season.
And finally, what happens if not one, but both goalies are injured during the same game?