The Wings have a Wednesday night date with the New Jersey Devils at Joe Louis Arena before grabbing a few days off for the All-Star break.
We know that Nicklas Lidstrom will be the lone Red Wings All-Star representative in Raleigh this weekend. What we don’t know is who the Red Wings captain will select as his teammates. Does he select fellow Swedes Henrik and Daniel Sedin? Will he keep hometown hero Cam Ward away from Eric Staal’s team? Should he take Ken Holland’s advice and draft from the blue line out?
“He (Holland) said you’ve got to go with defense first, that defense wins games,” Lidstrom notes. “But I don’t think that’s necessarily right for this one.”
We’ve all seen the tremendous accolades paid to the captain this season, including a pair of glowing articles from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com and Kevin Allen of USA Today. Still, the most gratifying praise comes from the men who share the locker room with Lidstrom.
“He’s just a special person and he is an amazing player,” Ruslan Salei said. “There aren’t too many guys like him that you get a chance to play with and I am enjoying every minute of it.”
While the All-Stars participate in SuperSkills, Saturday is also Hockey Day in Michigan, with events lined up from coast-to-coast to celebrate the sport in the Great Lakes State.
“The state of Michigan, year after year continues to be an elite part of the hockey world,” Red Wings Vice-President and General Manager Ken Holland said. “Michigan is currently home to the 11-time Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings, the AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins, seven top-notch Division I NCAA programs and outstanding junior hockey, not to mention the numerous high school and youth teams across our great state.”
The highlight of Hockey Day in Michigan will take place at Joe Louis Arena as the University of Michigan and Michigan State square off in one of the most heated rivalries in College Hockey.
“Growing up, I was taught to hate Michigan and root against them in everything,” Wings forward and MSU alum Drew Miller said. “Now playing pro, I have played with a few Michigan guys who have become good buddies of mine, so I’ve cut the cord a bit.”
“When it comes down to it, I’m green and white all the way.”
- Our friends at Etched in Cold and the Production Line are holding an Ugly Third Jersey contest. Details can be found here.
- Pavel Datsyuk paid a visit to students at the St. Isaac Jogues School on Tuesday.
- Helene St. James has an update on Dan Cleary’s status, which can only be described as chipper.
- Hard Knocks meets 24/7? The vastly entertaining Rex Ryan has quite the hockey background.
- Not only did the Herm to Hockeytown successfully get Herm to Joe Louis Arena last season, but the event also raised nearly $6,000 for the Children’s Hospital of Michigan Foundation. The 2011 event will take place on March 11th, before the Wings take on the Edmonton Oilers. More information can be found here.