SAN JOSE – It wasn’t the result everyone was looking for.
The Red Wings came out, survived the first 10 minutes and scored the first goal of the game. After a lengthy layoff, fans had to be feeling pretty good about having a 1-0 lead after the first period of play.
Jimmy Howard was outstanding, perhaps his best performance of the season. It was one of those nights where he seemed to be seeing the puck well and was zoned in, even after Joe Pavelski tried to rattle him in the second period. Mike Babcock’s decision to play Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk together generated scoring chances, but the Wings weren’t able to capitalize.
San Jose tied the game on a third period power play, with Pavelski using his stick to wack a rebound out of mid air. The game ended when Benn Ferriero got a nice piece of puck luck, with a shot that hit off of Brad Stuart’s stick and found the back of the net.
“The bottom line is, we weren’t good enough,” Mike Babcock said. “I thought Howie was good, period. I thought our penalty kill was good, and a huge part of your penalty kill is your goalie, so I thought he was good. He gave us a chance.”
Certainly disappointing, but it was only Game 1. The Red Wings will practice later this afternoon and will try to tie the series tomorrow on NBC.
- George Malik praised Jimmy Howard’s effort between the pipes. Howard had 44 saves on the evening.
- Chris from Nightmare on Helm Street notes that the Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom line looked fantastic, but that didn’t carry over to the other three pairings.
- On the Wings shares their game recap, noting that from a fans perspective, nerves will be tested throughout the series.
- The Detroit News has a nice photo gallery from the game.
- Winging it in Motown has X Ways to feel ‘anticipointment’ over Friday’s Game 1.
- The Free Press has your notes and quotes.
What did you think of Game 1? Leave your reaction and analysis in the comments below.