Not too long ago, the Tampa Bay Lightning used a YouTube clip of Steven Stamkos and his unique blend of skills to entice its fan base about the future of the franchise.
It worked. And if there were any Lightning fans who hadn’t ‘Seen Stamkos’ on the internet, they surely know who he is now.
Search Tomas Jurco on YouTube and you’ll see that same blend of crafty creativity. If the Slovak prospect turns out to be anything like Stamkos, Ken Holland will have found himself yet another NHL gem.
Dealing with the Draft is an exercise in patience, as the majority of selections are still a few years away from being NHL ready. Still, it’s hard to watch the dangles and not go gooey thinking of a Russian superstar currently donning the Winged Wheel.
For the third time in six seasons, the Wings decided to trade out of the first round, opting to trade the 24th selection to Ottawa for a pair of second round picks. And along with the YouTube sensation, Detroit added a pair of defensemen in Xavier Ouellet, who scored eight goals and 35 assists with Montreal in the QMJHL, and Ryan Sproul, who tallied 14 goals and 19 assists for Sault Ste. Marie.
The Detroit Red Wings 2011 NHL Draft
Tomas Jurco – RW – Saint John
Xavier Ouellet – D – Montreal
Ryan Sproul – D – Sault Ste. Marie
Alan Quine – C – Peterborough
Marek Tvrdon – RW – Vancouver
Philippe Hudon – RW – Choate
Mattias Backman – D – Linkoping Jr.
Richard Nedomlel – D – Swift Current
Alexei Marchenko – D – CKSA
- The Bleacher Report gives the Wings an A grade for the 2011 NHL Draft.
- The Jagr watch continues.
- Even after the fact, the NHL Draft chat at The Production Line is well worth the read.
- You know that time when we mentioned dramatic realignment for the sake of the playoffs? It actually may happen.
- The St. Paul Pioneer Press had a story on the 1989 NHL Draft and how it shaped the Red Wings two-decade run of playoff success.
- Winging it in Motown has a nifty roundup on Monday NHL Draft and Red Wings links.
Want to catch Jurco and the draftees in person? You’ll have a chance at the Red Wings Prospects Camp in Traverse City from July 7-14th. More details TBA.