There is a chill in the air.
I’m not waxing poetically in saying that either.
While speaking with members of our club before a Traverse City sendoff, I could see my breath in the sky, a sure sign that hockey season is right around the corner.
The team headed north this morning, while I head up tomorrow. Christy Hammond and Rick Bowness, two of our PR gurus, are with a few members of our team on a Community Relations tour throughout the state. If you see any of us along the way, feel free to stop us and say hello.
“Each year at this time everybody believes they have a chance,” said Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock. “The reality is, only eight of those teams in the West are going to get in and we want to be one of them.”
That’s the reality in the eyes of the coaching staff. I’m sure our fans expect the very best product we can put out there night after night.
“We’ve had some early exits that a lot of the guys here are not used to,” Dan Cleary said. “Obviously, we don’t like that. It’s going to be a big season. We got Nick Lidstrom back, so that’s always a plus.”
- Pavel Datsyuk and Brad Stuart stopped by the Hurley Medical Center in Flint as part of today’s Red Wings Community Relations Tour.
- The Red Wings announce ‘Two-fer Tuesdays.‘
- Jiri Hudler hopes some UFC style off-season training helps his game.
- Darren McCarty has a new job that may, or may not surprise you.
- The NHL Network will be broadcasting select preseason games, including the Wings opener against Pittsburgh on September 21st.
Jake Duhaime is the Social Networking Manager for the Detroit Red Wings. You can follow him on Twitter at @jakeduhaime.