TRAVERSE CITY – Just a wrap up of Training Camp coverage. I’ll try to keep fans up to date as time permits. In the meantime, follow the club on Twitter and Facebook for the very latest updates.
- Pavel Datsyuk will honor his former teammate Ruslan Salei, by sporting the number 24 throughout training camp. It is a very classy move by Pav, who has obviously been hit hard by the Russian plane tragedy.
- Following Saturday’s practice, the team attended the funeral of former assistant coach Brad McCrimmon.
- The Grand Rapids News has a story about former Griffins players excelling with the Red Wings. Just a reminder, we’ll be out in Western Michigan for our Red & White scrimmage on Tuesday, September 27th.
- Tomas Tatar, who scored a goal in his first NHL game last season, is in Traverse City looking to impress.
- Pretty bummed that the legendary George Malik is not here with us at camp. He is currently battling some personal issues. Best wishes George!
- Patrick Eaves will play alongside Dan Cleary and Pavel Datsyuk to start camp, a notable promotion for him. Mike Babcock has been complementary of the former Boston College star, pointing out that he is very ‘coach-like’ on the ice. Not surprisingly, Eaves’ father is the head coach at the University of Wisconsin.
- The Octopus Thrower is a Jimmy Howard believer.