Almost Showtime

One last touch up for the ice at JLA

Long time, no blog.

Have you ever worked on a play before? There’s an old saying that 10 percent of the work happens in the first weeks of a production and that the other 90 percent are a last minute scramble.

The same is true here. Regardless of the amount of time spent at the office.

From promotions designed to bring fans closer than ever to the team, to that last bit of paint on the Joe Louis Arena ice surface, we’re getting ready for a spectacular Opening Night.

Is it Friday yet?

In the meantime, here are a few notes to end the preseason. You know, just in case Mother Nature tries to rain on Justin Verlander’s parade of dominance this evening at Comerica Park.

If there were a ‘Most Impressive Player of the Preseason’ award, Gustav Nyquist would have taken home the honor. The former University of Maine star looked like a veteran out there, making plays and showing tremendous presence for such a young player. Mike Babcock couldn’t stop raving about what seems to be the latest in a long line of Swedish imports.

Nyquist is certainly a luxury for General Manager Ken Holland. He has a two-way contract, meaning he doesn’t have to clear waivers in being sent down to Grand Rapids. It also helps that he will see significant ice time in the AHL, something that he may not have seen on the third or fourth line in Detroit.

Still, if injuries happen and there is a need, much like there was for Tomas Tatar last New Year’s Eve, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him at Joe Louis Arena at some point this season.

Speaking of Nyquist, you can follow him on Twitter at @GNyquist. Other Wings prospects to join the world of social media include the aforementioned Tatar (@Trto90), Cory Emmerton (@Cemmer48) and Landon Ferraro (@LandonFerraro).

Fabian Brunnstrom made the most of his professional tryout (PTO), earning a roster spot, while showing his ability to make plays.

The tickets may be $200 a piece, but the Toast of Hockeytown is a tremendous event! Great food, even better wine and seeing your Red Wings players dressed to the nines? How can you beat that? Act fast if you want to attend, because tickets surely will sell out.

Let’s Go Tigers! Let’s Go Lions!

The good folks over at Nightmare on Helm Street has more on the 2011-12 roster with the addition of Brunnstrom.

You knew this was only a matter of time. The Shanabanned list.

Is it time to rename Detroit ‘Sports City, USA’?

Former Red Wing Boyd Devereaux is skating with Michigan native (and Red Wings fan) Tanith Belbin on CBC’s Battle of the Blades. Another former Detroit hockey tough guy, Brad May is paired with Anabelle Langlois.

Advertisements

About Jake Duhaime

Social Networking Manager for the Detroit Red Wings
This entry was posted in Detroit Red Wings, NHL. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s